If you’re looking for a frugal, long-lasting advent calendar, let me recommend the 24 books of Christmas Advent calendar. My friend DeAnn told me about this and I knew we just HAD to do it! Last year was the first year that we did this and we loved reading a book every night before bed!
- As many as 24 Christmas books
- Wrapping Paper
- Paper for labels
- Wrap up 24 of your favorite Christmas books.
- Label them 1 through 24.
- Each night have your kids take turns opening a book. You will open #24 on December 1, with 24 days until Christmas
- Read the book as a family each night
- You’ll open #1 on Christmas Eve! I saved The Night Before Christmas for that night!
IDEAS FOR MAKING IT EXCITING
- Every year add a new book or two to the mix.
- If you don’t have 24 books, just wrap up the books you have! For example, if you only have 12 books, just open a new book every other day.
- The first night, I had a new Christmas book for each kid. Just to start off with a fun treat.
- Midway through the month, I wrapped up some Christmas workbooks that I found at the Dollar Tree, they include stickers and activities. One for each kid.
- You can label them or leave them all unlabeled and let the kids pick!
Some of our favorite Christmas Books include:
The Night Before Christmas: The Anniversary Edition – only $5.91 over on Amazon (reg. $9.99). Ours is even signed by Santa, thanks to Grandma stopping by the North Pole and picking up the book!
- Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
- The Christmas Story
- Ten on the Sled
- The Littlest Elf
- The Berenstain Bears and the Nutcracker – pretty much anything Berenstain Bears!
- Merry Christmas, Curious George
- Llama Llama Holiday Drama
- A Berry Bitty Christmas (Strawberry Shortcake)
- LEGO City: Save This Christmas!
I’d love to hear – do you have a favorite Advent calendar tradition?