For the last two years – ever since we built our raised garden beds – we’ve been ordering our gardening mix and our beauty bark from Great Western Supply in Olympia, Washington. I adore the company so much that I wanted to do a post just about the products they offer and because I’m often asked where I get my soil for my garden. If you live in the Thurston County area – this post is for you!
My favorite things about Great Western Supply:
- Amazing customer service. A real person answers the phone and answers your questions and/or takes your order.
- Reliable delivery times. Every time I’ve ordered products that were delivered – they pulled into the driveway right on time (even early sometimes!). So grateful for punctuality!
- Great delivery crew. I set out tarps ahead of time and the delivery crews have always taken great care in getting the huge pile of soil or bark right on the tarp.
- U-haul options - Don’t want to pay for delivery? Haul it yourself for lower prices.
- Awesome products. My garden has flourished in the Great Western Garden Mix that I’ve used the last two years in my raised beds. The beauty bark is top-notch stuff and has definitely transformed our yard.
- Affordable prices. You can go to the local hardware store and spend $3-$5 on a small bag of beauty bark – or you can get a haul yard for as little as $17.95 from Great Western! See product/price list here.
- Lots of products - They have soil, organic soil, soil amendments, beauty bark, mulch, sand and gravel, decorative rock and more. See product/price list here.
- Yardage calculator - It’s hard to visual a how big a yard of soil is, but Great Western has a yardage calculator to help you gauge how much product you’ll need.
Let’s talk Soil
So you want to start a garden. If you build raised beds like we did, you’re going to need to fill them with soil! Great Western Supply has a few different options to choose from. They have a Simply Organics line, they have eight different non-organic soil varieties and they have soil amendments.
The last two years, based on conversations I’ve had with Great Western Supply employees, I’ve ordered the Garden Mix. It’s 1/3 topsoil and 2/3 mushroom compost. The mushroom compost comes from Ostrom’s Mushroom Farm here locally – which I love. I’ve been so pleased with how well my garden has grown in this mixture. I had very, very few weeds and/or sprout issues.
I didn’t supplement my garden with any fertilizers or additives last summer and everything grew like gangbusters. I give all the credit to the soil, because I had no idea what I was doing!