Here’s week two of the new series, Deals to Meals. Meal planning is so important to saving money – you buy what’s on sale and build meals from your deals. So I’m going to help you out. Based on what’s on sale at each store, I’ll give you some meal ideas to throw into your meal planning.
Before I list the meal ideas, here’s how I’m seeing this work:
- I’m not a chef, I’ll suggest basic meal concepts.
- My basic meal plan doesn’t have much variety – so I’ll do my best to change things up, but I’ll be sticking a lot to the basics.
- I won’t list every ingredient, just some of the best deals on the major ingredients and you can take it from there.
- I’ll try to limit it to two stores, you shouldn’t have to run all over town, and shop every store to put together a meal. For this reason, I might not list the best price in town, but will save you time by listing the best possible deals within two stores.
- Fred Meyer and Target ads run from Sunday – Saturday, whereas other stores are Wednesday thru Tuesday. Just pay attention to deals because some end Tuesday.
- I’d love your help! Weigh in and share what you’re making this week based on the sales.
Here are a few suggestions to get you thinking about meal ideas:
Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy, Mashed Potatoes (Fred Meyer/QFC)
- Pork Chops, only $1.88/lb Fred Meyer
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Mashed Potatoes
- Organic broccoli (as a side) – $1.49/lb at Fred Meyer or regular broccoli $0.99/lb at QFC
- Or asparagus $0.99 a pound at QFC
Slow cooker white bean chili with ground turkey (Fred Meyer/Winco)
- Foster Farms ground turkey – as low as low $1.59 a pound at Fred Meyer
- Use white beans, but add a can S&W Collection black beans carries a punch! Only $0.35 at Winco. Winco generally has really great prices on both canned and bulk beans. It would be my go to store for this recipe.
- Fresh cilantro – I think it’s about $0.38 cents a bunch at Winco
- Sour cream
Spaghetti with ground turkey (Fred Meyer/Safeway)
- Foster Farms ground turkey – as low $1.59 a pound at Fred Meyer
- Hunt’s canned tomatoes or sauce - $0.89 with in ad coupon (limit four) at Safeway. Grocery Outlet is also a great place to stock up on canned tomatoes, as well as Costco, currently $0.96/can for canned, organic, diced tomatoes (see Costco price list).
- Mushrooms – if you like in your sauce
- Golden Grain whole grain pasta $0.75 at Safeway
- Make a big pot up and freeze the sauce!
Ground turkey burgers with fries (Fred Meyer/Safeway)
- Foster Farms ground turkey - as low $1.59 a pound at Fred Meyer
- Could add feta cheese or kalamata olives to make patties more interesting! Costco is a good place for these ingredients (see Costco price list).
- Baked Ore Ida french fries, only $0.49 at Safeway - look for “new” varieties
Strawberry salad with blue cheese (Fred Meyer or QFC)
- Strawberries – $1.67/lb at Fred Meyer or $1.50/lb at QFC when you buy 4 pounds
- Private Selection Organic Salad mix – $2 at Fred Meyer or QFC
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Pecans (you can candy them on stove with a little sugar, cinnamon, honey)
- Vinaigrette dressing