Mouse over image to pin or click here to repin
I know I’m supposed to be posting soup and salad recipes – but this Homemade Cornbread recipe is the perfect side dish to the Tortilla soup that I’ll be posting tomorrow. So I’m sharing it with you today, so you can be ready. 🙂 I admit I’ve never made homemade cornbread before – I think I made Jiffy once or twice (I know, terrible) so I think I went from a junk car to a Mercedes Benz in my taste of cornbread and I’m not sure I can ever go back!
I’d love to hear from those of your who are certified cornbread fans – let me know what you think!
1/2 pound butter, melted (yes, that is two sticks)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (16.5 oz) cream style corn
1/2 Cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 Cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Cup flour
1 Cup yellow corn meal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, optional
HOW TO PREPARE
1.) Mix all ingredients together and place in a 9 x 13 pan.
2.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. As soon as you place the pan into the oven, drop the temperature to 300 degrees. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Makes 10 servings!
This recipe was sent in by Katie as part of our Soup and Salad recipe series (she sent in with her tortilla soup recipes)! Since I am featuring it on the blog, Katie gets a $10 Amazon gift card!
You might also like:
- Leftover Turkey Chowder recipe (it uses leftover mashed potatoes, too!)
- Curried Corn & Cheddar Chowder recipe
- Spicy Asian Noodle Soup
- New Waldorf salad with Lemon-Tarragon Vinaigrette
- Winter Bok Choy Slaw
- Arugula Pasta Salad with Pecans and Blue Cheese
- Roasted Garlic, White Bean and Kale soup
- Southwestern Salad with Avocado-Lime dressing!
- Quinoa, arugula, pistachio, balsamic vinegar salad
- Homemade tomato soup with basil and thyme (with thyme-roasted croutons)
- Roasted Carrot, Goat Cheese and Arugula salad
- Crockpot Beef and Barley soup