After doing my grocery match-ups for Safeway yesterday and I happened to check the Safeway coupon policy and saw that it had been updated, just Wednesday (2/16/11). What I did was compared the new policy with what they previously had on their Web site (from 6/18/10) the crossed-out content is now gone and the underlined content is NEW. It’s kind of hard to read, but I wanted you to see what changed. To see the new policy and always check for the latest you can find the Safeway coupon policy here.
Here’s some of the most important things to note:
(In my own words)
- If your coupon is for more than your product costs, you can get the item for FREE, but you won’t get a credit (also called overage). They will redeem the coupon for the price of the product, basically they’ll adjust the price of the coupon down to make the item FREE. (See rule #1 below)
- Coupons can’t be used on any free item received in an offer. For example, if there is a store promotion for buy milk and get a free box of cereal, you couldn’t use a coupon on the cereal. (See rule #4 below)
- Safeway will accept a manufacturer coupon (including catalinas!) that displays another retailer’s logo as long as the coupon is for a specific item – for example, $1 off Skippy peanut butter. But they will NOT accept manufacturer coupons that are for just for an amount off, without a specific product listed – for example a coupon for $3 off your purchase. (See rule #6)
- You cannot use an expired coupon and the coupon must have an expiration date. (See rule #7)
- Probably the biggest change is they added a policy about minimum required purchases! “Purchase reward thresholds (if any) will be calculated based upon customer’s final price (after deducting Club Card savings and all other discounts and savings) before deductions for any manufacturer coupons.” Wahoo – this is good news! A specific example of this might be the in-ad coupons. Those require a minimum $10 purchase to use, but this is only after your Club Card savings – after your manufacturer coupons you’re minimum total can be less than that! At least that’s how I read it. (See rule #12)
I really appreciate that Safeway updates their coupon policy and posts it clearly on their Web site. As a coupon shopper it’s important to follow the policy. Honestly, not all cashiers are familiar with their own policies – so be patient and bring a copy of the policy with you printed from the Safeway Web site.
Manufacturer and Store Coupons:
Coupons are redeemableonly by a customer purchasingthe specific brands and product(s)stated on the coupon, with the face valueof the coupon deductedfrom your retail or club card price.
Coupons must be for products sold at Safeway andcoupons must be presented at the time of the transaction.
3. Coupons are subject to advertised offer limitations and all other limitations and restrictions on coupon
cannotbe applied against thefree item received in any offer where a customer buys one or more items to get one or more items free.
Coupon amount may be reduced so that any combined discounts and coupons do not exceed the value of the item. See number 12 below. 6.Coupons have no cash value. 7. Accepted coupons must be Manufacturer or Safeway store issued coupons for specific items only. 8. Safeway will accept validmanufacturer coupon that displaysanother retailer’slogo or name only ifsuch coupon is for a specific item . 9. Safeway will accept valid Catalina manufacturer coupon that is issued to a customer by another retailer only if such coupon is for a specific item. 10. The coupon musthave an expiration date. 11. Coupons are void if theyappear distorted or blurry ,are altered in any way or copied. 12. The transaction amount may not fall below zero value, or go negative, meaning we will not give the customer money back. 13. All sales taxes are paid by the customer at the full value of the item. 14. All
bottle deposits on the purchased and free items
arepaid by the customer. 15. Safeway reserves the right to refuse any coupons at its discretion.
Internet Printed Coupons:
16. We gladly accept internet printed coupons. The same manufacturer and store coupon rules above apply to all internet printed coupons. 17. Internet printed coupons must scanat checkout. 18. Internet printed coupons must have serial numbers and follow an industry-standard format. 19. Manufacturer internet printed coupons must clearly indicate that they are a manufacturer coupon and have a valid manufacture address on the printed coupon. 20. We will not accept “free product ”internet printed manufacturer coupons.
Load to Card Club Coupons:
21. Internet and digital coupons that have been electronically loaded to a Safeway Club Card are automatically redeemed at the time of purchase after the club card number has been entered. All other coupon policies above apply to electronic coupons that are loaded to a club card.
Doubling of Coupons:
22. Check with your local store regarding ‘double coupon’advertised promotions where customers will receive double the coupon face value off the regular or club card price up to the advertised limit. Not all locations offer double coupon promotions. Limitations and restrictions for double coupon promotions may change at any time. Changes will be posted in store only.
(Hawaii stores only) . Safeway does not allow a customer to redeem two or more manufacturer coupons against the same item in a single transaction.
24. Coupon stacking policies for manufacturer coupons apply to paper and electronic coupons that have been loaded to a club card. 25. If a customer presents two coupons for the same item in a single transaction, Safeway will only acceptthe first couponto be applied inthe system.
26. Rainchecks expire ninety (90) days from the date issued and areaccepted at any Safeway store . 27. We reserve the right to limit Raincheck quantities based on product availability and advertised limits. 28. Rainchecks can be issued up to six (6) items unless otherwise stated in the applicable advertisement. 29. Rainchecks can be issued for all items, excluding Alcohol, Tobacco , andFluid Milk,which suchexclusions
vary State by State.
We may change
this policyat any time. All coupon redemptionsare subject to the policyin effect at time of redemption. Policychanges may not be advertised.The current policywill be posted at the customer service area in each store.
Here are some of my recent popular posts:
- Check out my Safeway deals for the week
- Stop by my Costco price list – it has more than 400 prices of bulk items, so you can always determine if you’re getting the best deal.
- Enter my giveaway for six-months of menu planning!
- Get 24 photo cards shipped for only $2.49!