I originally shared this recipe back in February 2012, but this slow cooker beef and barley soup just had to be shared again as part of our soup and salad series!
I love to pick up stew meat when I find it’s been marked down and needs to be cooked up – that’s what I did for this recipe. I’m pretty sure you can have the butcher dice up any kind of meat cut, but I’m not positive (have you done this?)
1 to 2 pounds stew beef
1 cup pearl barley
2 cups frozen corn
4-6 cups water or broth (I used beef bouillon mixed with water)
4 to 6 sliced carrots
1 stalk celery, diced (Although I put in four or five)
1 can tomatoes
1 onion, diced (I put in two)
3 minced fresh garlic clove (I have to put garlic in everything, you don’t, it wasn’t on any of the recipes I looked at)
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cups fresh or frozen green beans (I left this out since we didn’t have them)
Fresh parsley to garnish
HOW TO PREPARE
1.) In a large skillet add a little olive oil and add the onions and beef. Cook beef until brown and onions until starting to soften.
2.) If beef is really fatty, you can drain it first, then transfer to your slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients to the slow cooker.
3.) Cook on medium-high for for 4-5 hours or until barley, beef and veggies are tender.
4.) Serve with fresh parsley as garnish and don’t forget the warm bread. If you’re up for it – make my Grandma’s Rolls.
5.) Serve and enjoy!
I’d love to hear your recipes and your versions for this! This salad recipe is part of our Soup and Salad recipe series!
You might also like:
- Leftover Turkey Chowder recipe (it uses leftover mashed potatoes, too!)
- Curried Corn & Cheddar Chowder recipe
- Spicy Asian Noodle Soup
- New Waldorf salad with Lemon-Tarragon Vinaigrette
- Winter Bok Choy Slaw
- Arugula Pasta Salad with Pecans and Blue Cheese
- Roasted Garlic, White Bean and Kale soup
- Southwestern Salad with Avocado-Lime dressing!
- Quinoa, arugula, pistachio, balsamic vinegar salad
- Homemade tomato soup with basil and thyme (with thyme-roasted croutons)
- Roasted Carrot, Goat Cheese and Arugula salad
Do you have a favorite soup or salad? Send it in! You could get a $10 Amazon gift card if I feature your recipe!