This a perfect recipe for fall – using apples (in season and on sale!) and pork – both playing so nice together. It reminded me of sweet version of pulled pork. This recipe is adapted from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook (Amazon link) - a true gem of a slow cooker cookbook, if you’re looking for one.
3-4 pound pork roast - we used a pork shoulder roast, cookbook suggestss pork loin
Trim visible fat, rinse and dry with paper towel, seasoned with salt and pepper
6-7 tart cooking apples - we used Granny Smith
Peeled, cored and quartered
We used something similar to the Apple and Potato Peeler, Suction Base and it saves a lot of time
1/3 cup apple juice, fruity white whine or Champagne
We used Ooh La La Reisling, a wine sent to me by Ooh La La to review. It’s a very sweet wine, so it went well with this recipe. You could use any Reisling probably or apple juice.
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
HOW TO PREPARE
- Preheat a large skillet on high heat. Add a little oil to the pan. Once oil is hot, toss the pork roast into the hot pan and brown on all sides.
- Throw all the apples into the slow cooker. Put the browned roast on top of the apples in the slow cooker.
- Combine apple juice, brown sugar and ginger in a small bowl and pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce to low heat and cook until fork tender for 7 to 8 hours. I think we just cooked ours on medium for 7-8 hours to avoid the hassle of changing the temp after an hour.
- After it’s cooked, if your pork is still in a solid state (not completely shredded) you can transfer to a warm platter and let it rest 10 minutes before serving. Our pork had completely fallen off the bones and resembled a pulled pork – this is probably because we used a roast instead of the suggested pork loin.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or other starch.
Here are other Slow Cooker Crockpot recipes we’ve recently posted:
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Applesauce recipe
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with Pumpkin recipe (you can’t taste the pumpkin!)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Santa Fe recipe
- Slow Cooker Breakfast – Overnight Pumpkin Pie Steel-Cut Oats
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumpling Soup recipe