This recipe was originally published in October 2012, but I’m bringing it back because it’s so good.
This recipe is delicious! I admit, I was a little leery when I read that it had pumpkin in it. I’m not a huge savory pumpkin flavor fan – but Jenny who submitted the recipe for Crock-tober assured me you can’t taste the pumpkin. She was right! It gives it a brilliant orangish fall color and makes it creamer than other chili variations that I’ve tried. Plus you can sneak in some “vegetables” for your kids.
I used my homemade pumpkin puree that was super easy to make (shown frozen flat in the photo above).
2 pounds of ground turkey
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon, chili powder
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoon, cumin
1 teaspoon, oregano
2 cans white northern beans or navy beans (15 oz), rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken broth
15 oz pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin filling)
Make your own with a $0.99 Sugar Pumpkin – here’s my tutorial for homemade pumpkin puree. I actually threw my into the crockpot frozen, since I had frozen the puree in 1 cup increments.
4.0 oz – 4.5 oz canned chopped green chili
salt and pepper to taste
Optional garnishes: chopped cilantro, chives, sour cream, avocados, chips
HOW TO PREPARE
- Heat a large saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil. Add ground turkey and cook, at least five minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add cooked turkey to slow cooker
- Add all the other ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for four (4) hours or low for eight (8) hours
- Remove bay leaves, adjust seasoning to taste and serve!
This recipe was sent in by Jenny W as part of our Crock-tober series – so she’ll get a $10 Amazon gift card! Send in your recipe and if I feature your recipe on the blog you’ll get a $10 Amazon gift card! (Source: Skinny Taste)
Here are other Slow Cooker Crockpot recipes we’ve recently posted:
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Applesauce recipe
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Apples recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Santa Fe recipe
- Slow Cooker Breakfast – Overnight Pumpkin Pie Steel-Cut Oats
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumpling Soup recipe